This is an exceptional 20th century WWII German 12×60 observation binocular, presented on an adjustable wooden tripod. The binoculars were manufactured by the company Carl Zeiss. Carl Zeiss is a German manufacturer of optical systems, founded in Jena, Germany in 1846 by optician Carl Zeiss. These binoculars were used for long-watch land and sky observation by German forces between 1939 and 1945.
The wartime code for this binocular, “blc”, is engraved on the side of the binocular. “blc” is the secret manufacturing code assigned to Zeiss by the German Army Ordnance Department. The use of the “blc” code instead of the company’s normal logo on the side was a precautionary one, to ensure the secrecy of factory production should the binocular fall into enemy hands.